Oracle Certified Master – OCM DBA from Oracle is one of the hardest IT certifications to get.
The problem with this certifications isn’t the exam itself (2-day long lab), but the whole process of passing the OCA and OCP certifications and paying for required trainings.
This certification has a great value in the database world. So, if want to become a well-paid consultant or want to find a job with the biggest databases in the biggest enterprises this IT certification is for you.
We cover the newest version – OCM DBA 11g.
Do not forget to read our QA session with Paul Sorensen from Oracle.
What Exams You Must Pass to Become a OCM DBA
You must pass one 2-day lab exam (11g OCM).
The exam isn’t the hardest part of the process.
You must have the actual OCP DBA 11g certification. Then you must complete two official trainings from the list ($950-$3250). At the end of the process you must just pass one “simple” exam.
After that, just complete forms on the Pearson VUE website and wait for your certification.
There is also an option for an upgrade.
Format of the Exam
It is a lab exam, where you must configure and troubleshoot topics from a exam guide.
More about the format you can find in a blog post from Oleksandr Denysenko. The story is based on the 10g exam, but the 11g version is very similar.
Where You Can Pass the OCM DBA Exam
There are several places around the world where you can pass the exam. Just visit this site and click schedule.
You can register to the exam through this official website.
How Much Does the OCM DBA Exam Cost
The exam costs $2166.
How To Renew your OCM DBA Certification
The OCM DBA certification is connected with a version of the exam. That’s why after passing the exam you will be an OCM DBA 11g. You can update your certification to a new version. (Future: 12c)
You do not need to renew your OCM DBA 11g and you always can use this title.
Scope of the OCM DBA exam
- Server Configuration
- Enterprise Manager Grid Control
- Managing Database Availability
- Data Management
- Data Warehouse Management
- Performance Management
- Grid Infrastructure and ASM
- Real Application Clusters
- Data Guard
- More about topics on the official Oracle website
Actual version of the exam is based on:
- Oracle Linux Release 5.4 (64-bit)
- Oracle Database 11g version 11.2.0 (64-bit)
- Oracle Enterprise Management Grid Control 10g (64-bit)
How To Prepare to the Exam
- Books that helps you with your preparation process:
- OCM: Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Master Exam Guide for $176 – based on 10g
- Oracle 11g R1/R2 Real Application Clusters Essentials for $60
- Oracle Database 11g Performance Tuning Recipes for $40
- Do not forget to become a master of searching in a documentation. You have access to it on the lab and it’s good to know where you can find required information
- If you are an OCP DBA you know how to train for the lab. If not, you can download this database from the official Oracle website for free (education version). You should go for the Enterprise edition. You need a free account on the Oracle website. A good and easy way is to install it in a virtual environment (for example in VirtualBox). The easiest way is to install the Oracle Database on CentOS (RedHat) in VirtualBox. You can also use other virtualization platforms like VMware or Citrix.
- Of course more advanced futures like RAC or Data Guard should be train with a real environment with real Storage Arrays, SAN, LAN and even InfiniBand networks
Examples of Job Opportunities
If you interested with sharing your success story with OCM DBA please contact me.
Questions and Answers
Q: Can I find somewhere a list of all Oracle Certified Masters?
A: Sure, Oracle has a list of OCMs on the official website. This is not a full list, but you can find here 90% of people with OCM certifications.
Q: What other benefits I will receive with the OCM DBA certification?
A: The list of all benefits you can find here.