Project Management Professional (PMP) from PMI is a well-known certification from Project Management Institute, based on the PMBOK Guide.
PMBOK is a set of standards and solutions in the field of project management. If you seriously think about your career as a Project Manager you must know the PMBOK guide and start preparing to the PMP certification.
The Project Management Professional certification concentrates on processes of project management. The certification is an older (and more powerful) brother of CAPM and it is different from the PRINCE2 certifications, which cover more topics about documentation of a project.
PMP is a great certification for people who manage a project. We decided to add this certification to the list of the best IT Certifications in 2012.
What Exams You Must Pass to Become a Project Management Professional
You must pass only one exam – PMP.
You must have 4500 hours of professional experience on a project team with 5 process groups (Initiating Process, Planning Process, Executing Process, Monitoring/Controlling Process, Closing Process). You also need a minimum of 36 months of project management experience. You also need 35 hours of project management formal education. Just go for the first step of the registration process and you will receive more information about scopes of these two requirements. (more about requirements during the registration process)
The process of registration to the exam:
- Submit your application
- Wait for the approval from the PMI team
- Pay for the exam
- Pass the exam
Format of the Project Management Professional Exam
It is a normal, computer-based or paper-based exam (the paper-based version is not always available, more in the QA section on this page). You have 4 hours to answer 200 questions. You will receive the result of your test, right after the exam.
You can take a free practice Project Management Professional test on the PMStudy website. This test is very similar to the real one and helps you with finding gaps in your knowledge.
Where You Can Pass the Project Management Professional Exam
You can pass the exam in the nearest Prometric examination center. Just click schedule the exam and chose your country.
During a registration process you need PMI Eligibility ID. You will receive this information after providing your experience information and paying for the exam.
How Much Does the Project Management Professional Exam Cost
The exam costs:
- Paper-based testing: $250 for PMI members and $400 for non-members
- Computer-based testing: $405 for PMI members and $555 for non-members
You will receive information how to pay for the exam after ending with your application process.
How To Renew your Project Management Professional Certification
The certification is valid for three years.
To renew your Project Management Professional certification you must to obtain 60 PDUs (Professional Development Units) per three-year cycle. On the list of activities you can find:
- Courses offered by PMI’s R.E.P, chapters or communities
- Continuing education
- Self-Directed learning
- Creating new project management knowledge
- Volunteer services
- Work as a professional in project management
You will receive detailed information about the renewal process after passing your Project Management Professional certification. If you want to find you more about this topic, use the official website.
Scope of the Project Management Professional exam
- Initiation 13%
- Planning 24%
- Executing 30%
- Monitoring and Controlling 25%
- Closing 8%
More about the scope of the Project Management Professional exam you can find in this official PMI document.
How To Prepare to the Exam
You can find in the internet thousands of training materials for the CAPM certification. We recommend only three books and practice tests.
- We recommend three books, that were also chosen by almost each person with Project Management Professional certification:
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge for $36 – Must have and must read (many times)
- PMP Exam Prep for $62 – Great book by Rita Mulcahy
- PMP Exam Success Series: Bootcamp Manual (with Exam Simulation Download) for $75 – Great book by Tony Johnson with practice tests
- On the PMStudy website you can find one FREE practice test for the CAMP exam. You can also buy other tests for $25 (each). It is highly recommended before the exam.
- You can also think (if you have a budget) about an official training. The best way to find one is to type in google “PMI PMP training + Your_City”
Examples of Job Opportunities
If you interested with sharing your success story with Project Management Professional please contact me.
Questions and Answers
Q: What are differences between the CAPM and PMP certifications?
A: Although, both exams are based on the PMBOK Guide, CAPM is an easier exam and questions are related to process inputs, tools and outputs. The PMP exam is more tricky and you must choose the best option based on your understanding of PMBOK guide.
Q: Can I check somewhere if I really have an actual CAPM or PMP certification?
A: Yes, PMI has on the official website a tool to check that. You must type only the last name.
Q: When I can pass a paper-based exam?
A: If you live at least 300 km from a Prometric center or if your employer do group tests for his employees. More here.