You will not find any other company, that creates the certification program to be as much practical as possible. Red Hat does everything for that, beginning from the lowest level, to the RHCA certification.
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is one of the best and well-known certification from the Red Hat portfolio. First, on the exam you will not find any theory. Second, you must have a lot of experience and know almost every aspect of Linux systems. Third, to prepare to the exam you need almost nothing (you can train everything on your own PC).
For real passionates and engineers who want to push their career forward, RHCE allows to move it to a different level. Passing the RHCE exam is one of many steps to achieve the Red Hat Certified Architect Exam (RHCA).
Let’s look what we should do, to prepare and pass the exam. We cover a new version of the exam, which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
What Exams You Must Pass to Become RHCE
You must pass the RHCE exam (EX300).
If you want to be RHCE you must first pass the RHCSA certification (EX200 exam). Of course, you can pass the RHCE exam before, but the full RHCE title you can posses, only after passing these two exams.
Format of the Exam
The RCHE exam is practical. You have two hours to do all tasks from the exam guide. On the exam you do not have an access to the internet, but you can use official Red Hat documentation and all internal resources, like man pages.
Where You Can Pass the RHCE Exam
You can pass the exam in an authorized examination center. The best way to find a place for the exam is google. Just type “EX300 + YourCity”.
How Much Does the RHCE Exam Cost
The exam costs $400 plus taxes. One of the best option is to buy an official training with the exam on the end of the course.
How To Renew Your RHCE Certification
The certification (RHCE version 6) is valid for three years. To renew your certification, you must pass an Expertise Exam (which is needed for the RHCA certification) or pass an actual version of the RHCE exam.
Scope of the RHCE exam
To pass the Red Hat Certified Engineer exam you must know all aspects from the RHCTS exam plus additional topics, specially configuration of the network services. All subjects you can find on the official website or in the preparation materials.
How To Prepare to the Exam
- Books that will help you with the preparation process:
- You will pass the exam on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Of course you can install Red Hat Linux at your computer or a virtual machine, but without a license you can’t download anything from the Red Hat repositories. So the best way is to install CentOS which is derived entirely from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution. We recommend to do some labs with the Red Hat Linux, to have an idea about integration with the Red Hat portal and the license manager.
- The best way for you, to learn materials for the RHCE exam is a virtual environment. You can build a free lab on you workstation with CentOS and VirtualBox. More in that great video.
- A good place to start your preparation to the RHCE exam is an cheat-sheet by mconigliaro on GitHub
- Great for beginnings is a video training by CBT Nuggets for $500 (you can watch free samples)
- You can choose an official Red Hat training. One of the best solutions is a virtual class for $2800 (5 days).
- A lot of companies have in the offer Fast Track trainings. After five days of training you can pass the official exam. The course with the exam costs $2000 – $4000. One of the best training companies is GlobalKnowledge. You can find a fast track training around you. Just type in google “rhce fast track + [your city|your country]”.
Examples of Job Opportunities
If you interested with sharing your success story with RHCE please contact me.
Questions and Answers
Q: Can I verify the RHCE certification?
A: You can verify it on the official website.